Celery is a lot of things. For one, it’s REALLY good for you. How good?
-Rich in antioxidants – phenolic acids, flavonols, dihydrostilbenoids, flavones, furanocoumarins, and phytosterols.
– Vitamins and minerals – A, B6, C, K, folate, and potassium
– A decent amount of fiber
– Heard of foods with anti-inflammatory properties? Celery is one of those.
– Can lower cholesterol.
– All of this good stuff at only 16-ish calories per serving.
So what now? How do I take this raw vegetable and turn it into something?
– Eat it raw. Some of the good stuff in your food leeches out when it is cooked. Eat it raw with peanut butter or with an apple and some probiotic yogurt for maximum snacking.
– Celery is one of three ingredients to what’s called a mirepoix. This is the base for all things culinary.
– Wanna go cajun? Switch out the carrot in your mirepoix for peppers.
– Celery pairs nicely with things like pork, chicken, apple, fennel, onion, and garlic.
– Use it in smoothies or homemade tonics. Note: I’ve never done this but after doing some research I might try one. I’ll update this post once I have.
You can get an organic head of celery for about $1.75! It’s not gonna get much cheaper than that, folks.